Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Consider Chaga Mushroom for Skin Care and More

Yes, yes there always appears to be some new miracle cure. So let's take out all the sensational expectations and start out by saying that all your wrinkles and signs of aging will not go completely away. I, personally have tried many of the products heavily advertised out there (hydroderm, nuskin, strivectin) and I saw improvements but not what I was hoping. Now I have been trying both the chaga skin cream and daily supplement for the last 2 weeks. I have noticed that the fine lines and dark circle under my eyes are definitely diminishing (and it has been 2 weeks only!). I am optimistic and will give more details about the products that I am using after I am more convinced.

Let's discuss the chaga mushroom itself. This mushroom, largely found in Siberia (Inonotus obliquus), is believed to have all types of benefits (anti-bacterial, anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activities). The health benefits are being heavily touted (as are acai berries, goji, mangosteen and gac). Are any of these claims real?

I decided to check out chaga further. One scientific study (Biofactors; 2004, Vol. 21 Issue 1-4, p109-112, 4p, 2 graphs), demonstrated that cells treated with chaga mushroom have 40% less DNA damage from external sources. Another study (Biofactors; 2006, Vol. 27 Issue 1-4, p147-155, 9p, 4 graphs) showed that chaga mushroom may indeed have anti-cancer properties by inhibiting something called "gap junctional intercellular communication (GJIC)".

I am a firm believer in the power of the new super fruits (new to the western world at least - they have been long known in other parts of the world).I drink an acai, goji, gac supplement everyday. As for chaga, it is really intriguing and I will continue to test it. More to come on it later.

2 comments:

Shani said...

Hi Lori,

I'm getting ready to order a Chaga supplement, and am curious to know how it is working for you?

Thanks!

SY

Lori said...

I am pretty satisfied with it. I have been using the emu oil too and between the two I feel that my skin texture and coloration has improved. It is always difficult to determine how much change has occurred once it you get started therefore I recommend taking a "before" picture. Good luck.